Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Jagjit And Ghalib

My favourite Ghazal singer is Jagjit. I knew that his son Vivek had died in an accident, after which his wife stopped singing. But I was surprised to see his youth pics. He is a sardar and used to tie a turban in his youth. Check out the article http://www.sikh-heritage.co.uk/arts/JagjitSingh/jagjitsingh.htm

Today while coming back from the gym, I listened to his ghazal zulmat-kade main mere which is written by my favourite poet, Ghalib. Sahi kaha hai :

hain aur bhi duniya mein sukhanwar bahut achche
kehte hain ke Ghalib ka hai andaz-e-bayan aur

I had heard the ghazal many times before and I thought I need to read about this one today. The maqta(last sher of the ghazal) revealed that it is Ghalib's. I came home and did a little search to understand the meaning. Here is the maqta:

aate hain gaib se yih mazaamiin khayaal main
Gaalib sariir-e khaamah navaa-e sarosh hai

The meanings of the words used are:

Gaib->'Absence; invisibility; concealment; anything that is absent, or invisible, or hidden (from sight or mental perception); a mystery, secret; an event of futurity; the invisible world, the future state' eg Gaib-e-gaib->Absence Of Absence
mazaamii->topics
Khaama->Pen eg Khaamah farsaa'i karna->Write
Sareer->Scratching Sound (eg Made By A Pen, Throne)
Navaa->Sound, Voice
Dil nawaaz->Lenient, Soothing (The Mind)
Sarosh->Angel

For the explanation see http://www.columbia.edu/itc/mealac/pritchett/00ghalib/169/169_13.html



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home