Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, March 30, 2006

2.4:1 down to 4:3

I hate fullscreen versions of dvds. I hate 4:3 if it is used for movies. If the movie was shot in some aspect ratio, it is cruel to change it when digitizing it for us viewers. I just saw my friend watch a dvd of "The Incredibles" in 4:3. I looked at the case of the DVD. It had Fullscreen version written in bold on the top of it as if it is something to boast about. On the back I read this "rendered in Family-friendly full screen version"..Family-friendly my foot...Why don't they make it more friendly by giving us a black and white version and get rid of the 5.1 or 7.1 surround. How about mono sound. That would be pretty friendly..huh.. I say " We still use a black and white tv with mono sound and 1:1 aspect ratio...so anything more advanced is useless and certainly very unfriendly for our family." The ironical part is that my friend watched it on his laptop which had a screen in 16:9 aspect ratio, so he had two vertical black strips on his screen. Most of the TVs today are in 16:9. Why the #$%@# do movies still come out in this stupid 4:3 version. 4:3 is for old people. Nowadays even commercials and video games are coming in 16:9 aspect ratio. If you see really old movies then they will be in 4:3 or may be narrower versions but nowadays when they are shooting in 2.4:1 why do these people format it to "fit our screens"...How the #$%# do YOU know what screen I have. I saw the movie "The testament of Dr. Mabuse" It was in 1.09:1 (I don't remember the exact ratio but it was much narrower then 4:3). The Dvd makers acknowledged this and preserved the ratio. If it were for these friendly dvd-makers they would have chopped off the top (and) bottom portions to leave it in 4:3.

To all the dvd makers "Preserve the aspect and for Pete’s sake forget what ratio screen we have."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home